Saturday, November 22, 2008

Providence




Dropped by Joe's today on my way back from the cross race, which was great btw, awesome course and tasty cupcakes. I was in a particularly good mood cause the weather was nice and I was riding my bike for the first time in a while and I had just gotten to see a lot of folks I haven't seen since I last rode my bike. I had asked Joe to order me a seatpost and I was sure he had forgotten to, which he had. Of course I don't mind, if I had wanted it sooner I would have reminded him sooner. I was just happy that it was sunny and I had gotten away from drywalling my office long enough to check out the cx race and visit Joe.

While in the shop I mentioned to Joe my debate over which pedals to bring on the trip and that Jim Smart has just offered to give me some powerstraps, which has pushed me closer to choosing flat pedals. Hearing this Joe looks me in the eye and says "I have some pedals I will sell you." And he stresses the word you. Like he will sell them to me and only me, or at the very least only to someone who will appreciate them and get as much use out of them as I will. Now I'm having an even better day cause I'm intrigued by the offer and feeling blessed by Joe's goodwill.

So Joe walks to the back of the shop and rummages around behind those new metal shelves by the back door. "These are acutally my pedals but they're exactly what you need" he mumbles as he turns, walks to the counter and sets down on the glass a pair of Suntour XC pro pedals with toe clips. One clip has a black leather strap, the other has a pink cloth strap. They are well worn, turn smooth as butter and are beautiful as a thing can get.

No comments: