Stuff I would love to bring to Africa Next year (if money weren't an issue) :
1) Wild Things Spectra Andinista pack
2) Wild Things Superlight Windshirt
3) iphone or ipod touch, surprisingly useful in Africa now
4) Small netbook, does mac make one of these yet?
5) The perfect bike:
Rigid 29" Mountain Bike, preferably with G2 Geometry but without an eccentric bottom
bracket. I like Surly's FFF idea. fatter the tires the better for northern kenya.
Extra wide road bars (really, really wide) Ti would be great but steel - well...
Some super fat downhill tires for Northern Kenya (cheap and disposable), some schwable marathons
for everything else.
A cane creek thud buster (I'm a convert)
A brooks saddle
Thompson stem and, stainless steel rings, gripshift, or thumshifters.
7 speed if possible, 8 sp if not. Not sure what else...
6) Tent - something free standing, easy to pitch and water proof. Also very breathable. And packs small. Perhaps a Sierra Design Meteor Light 2? The footprint is also a must have due to the rocks and thorns we encounter, I wish they made on from Kevlar
7) Foam pad, the hell with thermarest. Useless.
8) Other ideas... to be continued.